Scouts BSA Troop 41 for boys

A short history of Troop 41 - the oldest continuing troop in the Antelope Valley.

Troop 41 was first chartered on January 1, 1934 but there are no official records to proved it.  Any records have long sense been lost and if there were any records at the National Headquters office a fire in the early 1940s destroyed most of them.  The earlier official charter of the Troop is Jan 1, 1942.  Since then the troop has been continuously re-charterd every year.  The only unofficial pieces of evidence before 1942 is a camporee trophy from 1934, but it it not proof that the troop was chartered for that years or every year after that until 1942.  A few charters are in existence, but only for two scattered years.


From 1942 - 2000 five Scouts earned the rank of Eagle.  

Group of Citizens  1934 - 1938Rosamond School PTA  1938 - 1942Rosamond Chamber of Commerce  1942 - 1946Burton Brothers, Inc. (H. Clifford Burton) 1946 - 1950Tropico Mines (Clifford G. Burton)  1950 - 1951Rosamond School PTA 1952 - 1954Lions Club 1954 - 1961Kiwanis 1961 - 1992American Legion Post 490 1992 - 2010American Legion Post 476 2011 - Present
From 1944 to 2000 five Scouts earned the rank of Eagle.  The troop was relatively small averaging no more than 10 Scouts.  During that period, since 1960 Jim Williford made sure the troop stayed chartered recruited enough Scouts and scoutmasters to keep it going.  He refused to let it fail.  By 1990 the troop found itself very small with about five Scouts and aligned with Troop 890 in Rosamond which was also small, but it gave both troops more leaders to do events together and help survive their very low numbers.  Ray Folck was Scoutmaster and Frank Paravato Assistant Scoutmaster.  For the next 10 years they would hold the troop together.  In 1999 six Webelos from Pack 541 joined Troop 41 and that began a new era of growth.  In 2000 the troop separated from Troop 890 and chartered independently.  Growth continued and by 2001 the troop had over 20 Scouts.  (the rest of the story is currently being written.  If you have any information on the troops early history please e-mail the contact on this website.)
In 1968 Troop 41 put up the cross on the top of the hill in Rosamond.  The original one was cut down and a short time later the Troop put up a steel cross 13' high and painted it white.
Scoutmasters:1944 - ?1948 - Ray Gerblick (Outfit Advisor - H. Clifford Burton)1956 - James E. Kenner1958 - Charles O. Johnson1960 - M. E. Lawyer (Abe Ogden - Explorer Advisor)1961 - William R. Sanford 
(Abe Ogden - Explorer Advisor)1963 - Olan Embrey1965 - Leslie G. Stevens Jr.1967 - Jo Kengott1968 - 1969 - Ronald G. Vernon1970 - Bob Loomis1971 - Van L. Henderson1987 - Robert Glass1990 - 2001 Ray Folck2001 - 2001 John Lostumbo2002 -  2007 Art Renteria2007 - 2011 Dan Troup2011 - present - Gary Cooper Edit Text


Troop History (under construction)
Troop 41 was first charted on Jan 1, 1934 but there are no official records to prove it.  Any records have long since been lost and if there were any records at the National Headquarters office a fire in the early 1940's destroyed many records.  So the earliest official charter the Troop has is Jan 1, 1944.  Since then Troop 41 has been continuously re-charted every year.  While nothing official is at the BSA Hq's Office before 1944, there is one piece of paper that has been around for some time showing all the Chartering Organizations of the Troop and a camporee trophy from 1934.  Neither are enough proof for BSA to grant us recognition before 1944, however.
Group of Citizens  1934 - 1938Rosamond School PTA  1938 - 1942Rosamond Chamber of Commerce  1942 - 1946Burton Brothers, Inc. (H. Clifford Burton) 1946 - 1950Tropico Mines (Clifford G. Burton)  1950 - 1951Rosamond School PTA 1952 - 1954Lions Club 1954 - 1961Kiwanis 1961 - 1992American Legion Post 490 1992 - 2010American Legion Post 476 2011 - Present
From 1944 to 2000 five Scouts earned the rank of Eagle.  The troop was relatively small averaging no more than 10 Scouts.  Since 1960-2004, Jim Williford made sure the troop stayed chartered recruited enough Scouts and scoutmasters to keep it going.  He refused to let it fail.  By 1990 the troop found itself very small with about five Scouts and aligned with Troop 890 in Rosamond which was also small, but it gave both troops more leaders to do events together and help survive their very low numbers.  Ray Folck was Scoutmaster and Frank Paravato Assistant Scoutmaster.  For the next 10 years they would hold the troop together.  In 1999 six Webelos from Pack 541 joined Troop 41 and that began a new era of growth.  In 2000 the troop separated from Troop 890 and chartered independently.  Growth continued and by 2001 the troop had over 20 Scouts.  (the rest of the story is currently being written.  If you have any information on the troops early history please e-mail the contact on this website.) Edit Text

 

Join Us

Contact Troop 41

contact us

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 8.04.13 PM
Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 8.04.13 PM
+
bsa_anniversary_logo
bsa_anniversary_logo
+
  • First Item
  • Second Item
  • Third Item